With two locations in River Oaks and Uptown Park Shopping Center, Drybar offers Houston the original blow dry bar concept. No cuts. No color. Just blowouts. Founder Alli Webb created the business with the idea of focusing on one thing and being the best at it. The sophisticated branding defines the interior in both Houston locations, and the River Oaks location marked the 41st nationwide store for the company. Drybar’s branding proudly features its official mascot Buttercup (an upside down yellow blowdryer), featured around the shops and on the website. Drybar’s menu of signature styles stays true to the ”bar” theme with styles like the “Manhattan” or “Cosmopolitan”. Add to your tab with extras like a “floater”, a ten minute scalp massage during your shampoo. Drybar has become a regular stop for celebrities like Cindy Crawford, Emma Roberts, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Zooey Deschanel, Rose McGowan, Hilary Duff, Miley Cyrus, Jennifer Garner, Maria Shriver and Nicky Hilton.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES
- Introduce Drybar and its events to the public and media
- Position Drybar as unique in Houston
- Secure media placements through strategic pitches
- Generate awareness through a strategic influencer campaign employing some advertising on well-performing, organic posts
The challenge for The PR Boutique was to not only introduce but differentiate Drybar from the existing blow dry establishments and salons offering similar services in the city.
- In 2013, The PR Boutique was retained to handle the grand opening of Drybar in the Uptown Park Shopping Center, including on‐location media interviews and press outreach surrounding the store’s grand opening. The challenge for The PR Boutique was to differentiate Drybar from the already existing blow dry establishments in the city. Leading up to the opening, The PR Boutique generated as much attention and excitement as possible about the first‐ever Drybar location in Houston by reaching out to local media with creative, segmented pitches to announce the opening. The PR Boutique pitched business and lifestyle stories to the Houston Business Journal, Houston Chronicle, NPR, Great Day Houston and the LiveWell Network’s Mirror/Mirror among many other publications.
- As a result of The PR Boutique outreach, Drybar welcomed journalists into the store during opening weekend for a free blowout while Webb made her way around greeting the press and answering interview questions. The PR Boutique was also charged with compiling a list of Houston’s local influencers to receive special freebie blowouts from Drybar. The agency also coordinated 10 blogger giveaways, which included a complimentary blowout, the week of grand opening to generate the most buzz. In addition to opening-day media interviews, The PR Boutique invited media and Houston influencers to a VIP grand opening party at the River Oaks home of one Drybar’s investors. Guests mingled with Webb while learning about Drybar’s unique services and products. The agency distributed a post press release highlighting the influencer event along with key photos to secure event coverage. After months of hard work, Drybar was officially on the map in Houston and positioned as the go-to spot for a blowout.
- Due to The PR Boutique’s successful outreach, Drybar retained The PR Boutique again in 2015 to handle the grand opening of its second Houston location in River Oaks, focusing specifically on securing interviews with Houston’s top editors, general press outreach and tapping into Houston’s network of influencers leading up to the grand opening. After having created a rapport with the media and community, the challenge was to spread awareness of the established brand’s new location through creative pitches and community outreach efforts. The PR Boutique pitched business and lifestyle stories to the Houston Chronicle, CultureMap, Houston Modern Luxury and more. Leading up to the opening, The PR Boutique created buzz by compiling a list of Houston’s local influencers to receive special freebie blowouts from Drybar and coordinating multiple opportunities for Drybar to connect with Houston charities and bloggers through giveaways and donations. As a result of The PR Boutique media outreach, Drybar once again hosted top journalists and influencers to meet and mingle with founder Alli Webb while getting a fabulous blowout during the grand opening. Drybar River Oaks received a warm welcome and much praise from the community.
- Drybar received ample coverage from Houston’s top media. Following are top media placements received:
Houston Press, September 17, 2013
- Drybar opens in Uptown Park, Makes Good Hair Look Easy
- Houstonia Magazine, September 16, 2013
- Drybar Lands in Uptown Park
- Papercity Magazine, April 25
- Retail rap
- Houston Chronicle, March 24, 2015
- Drybar’s second Houston location now open
“The reception has been so phenomenal that we had to open the second location for all the demand,” said Drybar Founder Alli Webb. [/vc_column_text]