Savarese Promotions, based in Houston, Texas, is a locally owned and operated business promoting professional boxers and boxing events. Owned by former professional boxing champion and two-time Golden Gloves winner, Lou Savarese, and Houston entrepreneur, Jody James, Savarese Promotions is the leader in Houston boxing. Savarese Promotions produces a quarterly boxing series titled Ballroom Boxing and recently hired The PR Boutique Houston to expand the awareness of this unique event.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES
- Introduce Savarese Promotions and its events to the public and media
- Position Savarese Promotions’ events as unique in Houston
- Secure media placements through strategic pitches
- Generate awareness through a strategic social media campaign employing some advertising on well-performing, organic posts
- Work with web designer to retool the existing website
Though Lou’s respectable career made him a favorite of promoters, fans and even networks outside the world of boxing, Savarese Promotions fan base and attendance was limited. There was no structure to the events and all of the ticket sales came from Lou’s existing fan base. In addition, Ballroom Boxing had no social media presence and the website was not functioning properly.
- Leading up to the Ballroom Boxing and Black Tie Boxing events, The PR Boutique generated as much attention as possible by sending the detailed press kit to local media, pitching sports and lifestyle stories to Houston Chronicle, PaperCity, CultureMap, KTRK ABC 13 and CBS Sportsradio, among other media outlets, and properly managing social media platforms to communicate directly with existing and new audiences.
- The PR Boutique coordinated and oversaw the event logistics, including event collateral and marketing, sponsorships and ticket packages, managed the social media channels through content creation and paid promotion, partnered with the web development team to accurately depict each event on the Savarese Promotions website, and conducted media outreach surrounding the events.
- Two specific examples of break-through ideas for Savarese Promotions that delivered both strong local brand engagement and media attention include:
- In order to create buzz around the Black Tie Boxing event, The PR Boutique recommended Savarese Promotions select a non-profit organization to benefit, The Lone Survivor Foundation. Ex-Marine and avid boxer, Eric Morante, fought and lost his leg in Iraq and was included in the Black Tie Boxing fight line up. The PR Boutique highlighted his passion, strength, and talent to garner the media’s interest. Some of the media coverage surrounding this includes:
- The PR Boutique positioned the announcement of rising star, Arturo Marquez, as a father and son story, as his dad is World Champion and 1992 Olympian, Raul Marquez. This caught the attention of the sports media. Some of the media coverage surrounding this includes:
- The PR Boutique continues to manage the Savarese Promotions Facebook page. The page began with 1,578 likes and has now reached 1,766 likes. The PR Boutique has advised on when to boost posts in order to increase engagement and awareness.
- The PR Boutique continues to manage the Savarese Promotions Instagram account. The account has reached 452 followers with the help of The PR Boutique’s social media expertise.
- The PR Boutique continues to manage the Savarese Promotions Twitter account. The account has now reached 322 followers.
“Hello ladies. I just wanted to take a moment to thank you so much for the amazing job you guys have done; your team has taken us to a new level. The presence and work your team has done has made a huge difference. The professionalism and class that you exude are first class.”
Lou Savarese, founder of Savarese Promotions
“Thank you all so much for such an outstanding job last night. The seating arrangements and will-call lists were nowhere near as well prepared as I had hoped to hand over to you, but you handled everything with grace and made it look effortless. I appreciate the cooperative attitude each of you had, despite being in a new and challenging environment, and you certainly made Savarese Promotions shine.”
Jody James, XX